Black Knight Spawning Brushes (2 in a Box)
Black Knight Spawning Brushes (2 in a Box)✔ IN STOCK
To View Prices Login Or Apply For Account
Why do i need
2 brushes, each 59" x 5.5" (1500mm x 140mm) diameter. If you have mature koi of each gender, they will be ready to spawn at any time from April to August. The earliest they will spawn is temperature and daylight dependent and so a warm spring will bring the season forward and cold weather will delay it. Koi look for somewhere suitable to lay their eggs. In nature this will be plants, roots and filamentous algae. Since most domestic koi ponds are devoid or short of these, either the koi will not spawn at all or they will try to spawn on the walls of the pond. The very act of spawning is extremely energetic and so the fish are at risk of damaging themselves on the hard edges of the pond if they have nothing more suitable on which to spawn. Spawning brushes are ideal particularly when breeding your koi have no natural plant life to spawn on. Our koi spawning brushes are particularly important for ponds that do not have water hyacinths and other plant life that are essential to your koi‚‚¾‚s reproduction. Each Black Knight spawning brush is approximately 59 inches (159cm) long with a diameter of 5.5 inches (14cm). They are lighter, more compact alternatives to koi spawning mats and mops. Unlike other spawning products, our koi spawning brushes are extremely easy to use. Black Knight spawning brushes are designed to be harmless to the fish (they are soft and smooth) and to emulate plants. Simply placing the brushes appropriately in the pond will provide a focal point for the fish that is out of harm‚‚¾‚s way and will dramatically reduce the chances that the fish will injure themselves on the side of the pond.
How do they work
Our spawning brushes need no preparation before use. They can be suspended on the pond in the most suitable position to encourage the fish to spawn on them. When the mature female is ready, she will give off pheromones which will trigger activity amongst the males. You will probably first notice something happening during the evening. Perhaps two to four males will start showing a greater interest in the female and will start following her more closely. This will be relatively low-key activity for several hours. Koi always start spawning early in the morning and the process can take several hours. It starts with an escalation in activity and the males will be harrying the female and almost pushing her around. As soon as she is ready, she will be ready to release her eggs and the process will begin. Cyprinids (members of the carp family) do not lay their eggs all in one go and in one place. The female will shoot forwards at high speed across the spawning brushes and squirt a few eggs each time onto them. The eggs are coated in a sticky substance that makes the eggs adhere to the brushes. During each bombing run (when you see it, you will understand why we are describing it in this way), the males will follow immediately behind the female and will spray their milt over the eggs to fertilise them. This process will be repeated many times. A small female may do it 40 times and a very large one may do it 150 times. The eggs will remain stuck to the brushes although you may not be able to see them. You can lift the brushes out of the water briefly to have a look. They are translucent and look like tiny spheres of jelly. You can leave the brushes in the pond if you wish for incubation and hatching. If you want to maximize the number of fry that hatch then it is better to remove the brushes to another oxygenated and filtered tank or pond away from the other fish. Mature fish will eat many eggs and fry if you let nature take its course in the pond. If you wish to move the fish, ensure that you equalize water temperatures first because a temperature shock will reduce the success rate. Fertilised eggs will show a couple of black spots (the eyes) after two or three days. All unviable eggs will turn white in a day or two. The dead eggs will attract fungus which can be minimized by adding some malachite green to the water. In high temperatures, the eggs can hatch in about 3 ½ days and in up to 8 days in cool temperatures. Typically, a period around 5 days is average and this should be achieved at around 18 ‚‚ 21 deg C. The fry will hatch and then stick to any nearby object and wait there for a further day while they digest the remainder of their yolk sac. When the yolk runs out they will swim to the surface to take a gulp of air to inflate their swimbladder for the first time. From this point on they are free swimming and will be looking for food. A few hours after the fry start to hatch, you should remove the brushes so that the remaining dead eggs do not pollute the water. Koi fry can be difficult to feed artificially for the first two weeks. In nature they would feed on zooplankton. These are tiny animals that live in suspension in the water (such as daphnia) and are an ideal first meal for the fry. You can make your own zooplankton by hatching brine shrimp. You can buy freeze-dried brine shrimp eggs; you place them in oxygenated warm salt water and they hatch in 1 day. It is quite a simple process and is ideal for feeding the small fry. You can buy dry fry food from your local aquarist. This is fine for fry that are a week old but it is a little tricky to get newly hatched fry to start on it. One very important point is to monitor the water quality of your hatching tanks. It is essential that you have good mechanical and biological filtration if you are to raise your young fish successfully.
How to use
Fast and Reliable Delivery Service for Your Convenience
At SKS Wholesale, we understand that timely delivery is crucial for your business. That's why we are committed to providing you with a quality, professional service that ensures your products reach you swiftly and efficiently.
- For non-bulky items under 1.5mtrs (including bulbs & liquids), the delivery charge is £9.50 + VAT for the first 20kg (additional 28p per kilo after 20kg).
- Pipework and Oversized Parcels over 1.5mtrs have a delivery charge of £15.00 + VAT for the first 20kg (additional 28p per kilo after 20kg).
- If your item(s) can fit a 5kg Courier pack and do not contain liquids, they can be shipped for £6.50 + VAT.
- For item(s) that fit a 1kg Mail pack and do not contain liquids, the shipping cost is £5.50 + VAT.
- Bulky items such as drum or bead filters require pallet shipping, starting from £45.00 + VAT.
- Non-bulky orders to mainland UK over £1000 Excluding VAT will be shipped for free, up to a value of £55.00.
- Orders going to remote places such as the Scottish Highlands and Northern Ireland may have different rates (please contact us for details).
- To ensure your privacy, all orders will be shipped with unbranded packaging, without any marketing material.
We are dedicated to providing a fast delivery service and aim to dispatch your orders as quickly as possible. However, please note that while we strive to meet delivery expectations, it is important to understand that delivery times are not guaranteed and should not be solely relied upon. SKS Wholesale cannot accept responsibility for any delays that may result in job disruptions or hold-ups.
Placing an order is simple and convenient:
- Telephone: Give us a call, provide the product code and details, and our friendly team will assist you in placing your order.
- Online Store: Visit skswholesale.co.uk, browse our wide range of products, and place your order online through our secure platform.
- Email: Send us an email with your details and the product code, and we will process your order promptly.
If you have any questions regarding delivery times or costs, please don't hesitate to contact us. We are here to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience for you.
At SKS Wholesale, we prioritize your satisfaction and are committed to providing reliable delivery services for all your wholesale needs.
**Although we try our best to provide a fast delivery service, this is not a guaranteed service and should not be replied upon. SKS Wholesale can accept no responsibility for delayed orders that result in jobs being held up or disrupted.**
Welcome to SKS Wholesale's Return Centre. If you need to return an item to us due to damage, warranty claims, or any other reason, we have provided a simple and convenient return form for you to complete. Please carefully read and follow the instructions below to ensure a smooth return process:
- Complete the Form: Fill out the form below with all the required information. Make sure to provide accurate details to expedite the return process.
- Unique Returns Number: Upon submitting the form, a unique returns number will be generated for you. This returns number is crucial and serves as YOUR personal identifier for the return. Please make a note of this number and keep it safe.
- Include the Returns Number: When packaging the item for return, remember to include the generated returns number along with the product. This allows our dedicated team to efficiently process and track your return.
- One Form, One Code: Please note that only one form should be completed per item returned. Each item requires its own unique returns number. If you are returning multiple items, kindly fill out a separate form for each one.
- Submitting the Form: Once you have completed the form and obtained the unique returns number, click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page to send us your return request.
- Return the goods: Please send all returns to: SKS Wholesale Limited, Beechcroft, 47 Waterloo Road, Hainford, Norwich, Norfolk, NR10 3AX
If you have any questions or need assistance with the return process, our friendly customer support team is here to help. Feel free to reach out to us via phone or email and we will guide you through the necessary steps.
Thank you for choosing SKS Wholesale. We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to assisting you with your return.
Items sent back to us without this form will not be looked at. SKS does NOT cover the cost of returning goods, SKS May refund the cost of returned goods if/when they are deemed to be Faulty & under Warranty
**IMPORTANT** As the dealer/supplier/installer it is your duty to inspect the
product prior to returning it to us. You must check for user error/misuse or lack of
maintenance. If a product is returned to us and simply requires cleaning or
servicing you will be charged for us to do this and for any carriage charges
At SKS Wholesale, our stock levels are updated throughout the day so you can buy with confidence. Our commitment to providing real-time updates ensures that the information you see on our website is always accurate and current.
We value our customers and strive to provide excellent customer service. Our knowledgeable and friendly team are available via email and telephone, to assist with your orders or questions about our products.
Open a Trade Account
We make it easy to open a trade account with us. Simply complete our trade application form, and our account manager will be in touch with you shortly. As an account holder, you'll enjoy a range of benefits, including access to our extensive product range, competitive pricing, and support from our expert team.